United We Stand – For Election!
24th February 2017
For immediate release
Frack Free United is a new lobby group against the fracking industry. It was launched on the 13th February 2017 in Yorkshire and looks set to be a major player in the run up to local council elections in May 2017.
Established in Ryedale, North Yorkshire, another area facing the imminent threat of fracking on its doorstep, the network is made up of campaign groups and communities opposed to the industry.
Frack Free United is encouraging the public to come to its website and find out where the candidates seeking to represent them stand on fracking.
Member of the Lancashire group, Claire Stephenson, said:
“Here in Lancashire, we are currently facing fracking being forced upon communities by central government, when the parish, borough and county council voted against it.
“It is the responsibility of local politicians to represent us and stand up for their constituents. We’ve worked with Yorkshire communities to be part of this initiative, so that local canditates seeking election or re-election can make their stance clear against fracking.”
Lancashire County Councillor Gina Dowding stated:
“As a current councillor and a candidate in the forthcoming county elections here in Lancashire, I really welcome this initiative to pin-down candidates on where they stand on fracking.
“As a Green Party councillor I have been campaigning for decades on measures to combat climate change. The last thing that UK needs is a new fossil fuel industry trying to get established.
“We need every elected politician up and down the country to fight against this industry and to fight for renewable energy for our for our future.”
Notes to the Editor:
1) Frack Free United is a network of residents and campaign groups who are united in protecting our countryside and communities from the threat of fracking, strengthening and building a progressive alliance from all walks of life and working together to oppose fracking locally and UK-wide.
2) For more information see: www.frackfreeunited.org
3) Frack Free United on facebook: www.facebook.com/FrackFreeUnited
4) Follow us @ @frackfreeunited
5) Lancashire contact: Claire Stephenson, firstname.lastname@example.org